Sunday, December 9, 2012

Hike to Top Tippa

Today Mary Ellen and I rode the Scootie to the base of Top Tippa, and hiked almost to the top. We ascended about 2000 feet.
The trail took us through small villages, which is the term for the homes and small farms outside the towns and cities. It was rough and rocky, laced with hundreds of tiny footpaths.
Everyone was happy to see the strange people walking past their houses. It was so quiet that we could hear someone singing off in the distance, the sounds of children playing, and the occasional beeping of horns down below (horn honking is how drivers warn each other they are close by. In the cities that is always, constantly). The scale of everything on this hike was breath taking. On our way down it seemed as if a whole family in one village was waiting for us. I asked if I could take their picture. One woman immediately removed her scythe and rope from her head for the photo. I said "no no, it looks great" and gestured for her to put it back on. Everyone laughed.One little boy took another bundle of rope and put it on another woman's head. Everyone laughed again. Everyone huddled around my iphone for a long time to look at the image. I am going to try to remember to print it out when I get home, and send it to Mary Ellen to take to them the next time she goes on the hike.
I am so so tired, but so happy we did this hike. From this one hike I got such a good sense of the rural life here. Mary Ellen and I talked non stop about how much better life would be for everyone on the planet if those of us who have a lot could do with less. 











Hay stacked up the trunk of a tree.

More hay stacked on poles.


Hay on tree trunk and branches.



Stone barrier to slow the water run off during Monsoon.


Boys playing cricket on the path.

Their cricket wicket.


Saint Mary Ellen.


Beautiful family.



Terraced farming plots on the side of the mountain.

Helicopter landing pad.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Robin, it's almost painful for me to look at these images. How glorious it all is. I trekked in the lower Himalayas in Nepal years ago and that beautiful family so reminds me of the sweet Sherpa families I met in the little villages along the way. And the footpaths snaking back and forth up the mountain. And the water buffalo blocking the way! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. I'm so glad you're getting to do all this. Love, Nora

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOOOO beautiful! I just read all of your blog entires so far in one sitting and it's so wonderful to see how your experience is panning out. Especially the way you're settling in and succumbing to it. The difference in tone between this entry and the first makes me really happy and I'm excited for you to continue on this journey. By the end you'll be crying because you aren't ready to leave, just wait.

    PS: all these pictures from bazaars and markets are gettin' me thinkin'... When my friend Jen went to India a year ago she brought be back a beautiful gold hoop nose ring for me (i think you've seen it, it's got white crystals dangling from it.) It's a little sparkly for daily wear though and I've been dying for a plain gold hoop. If you happen upon one for a bargain (up to $15? but you could probably find it cheaper) I will reimburse you when you get back :) (~1cm diameter? gauge isn't too important, real gold)
    --BUT I digress...
    I hope Dehli finds you rested and ready to take it in and you make awesome and unexpected connections with people there the way you did in the mountains. I can already see the "inspiration gears" turning in your pictures and stories, and I'm excited to see the art work that comes out of it.
    Thinking of you and so proud of you for taking this leap!
    Loooove,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!