Tuesday, December 4, 2012

In Mussoorie

I am in the foothills of the Himalaya visiting the Pesavento family who are related  to our dear friends in Davis, Patty Pesavento, Davis and Bay Warland. It was a 7 hour train ride to Dera Dun from Delhi followed by a one hour drive up the mountain to Mussoorie on the most narrow winding road that I have ever seen. No guard rails! 
Walked down and back up the mountain to the Woodstock school, 500 ft. elevation, where my new friends teach.I have been talking about the New Hampshire feeling the mountains have all day. The sky is blue and there are monkeys wandering all over the place. There are leopards and black panthers and pine martins in the woods. I have met so many nice people today at the school, from all over the US mainly.

I am averaging 3 hours a night of sleep. Body clock is still totally off. Being here with a family with a routine is helping soothe my unease and helping me find my ground here.

Exploring the reasons with my friends here for the profusion of trash in Delhi (and India as a whole). Poor infrastructure and a population in Delhi of 23 million. My friend also thinks that there is a connection to religion To be concerned with the material world, which includes trash, is a diversion from what really matters, which is the soul life.

The air is so clear in the Himalaya, unlike Delhi which has a dense grey veil covering it. Being able to breathe the air here is helping a lot. As I hear other stories I am realizing that tears are common, and they do stop.


Flower petals at the Sanskrit Kendra. I will be going back on Monday night.



There is a little monkey at the foot of this walkway

The train station in Delhi

School girl on a bus in Delhi

What it says

Man chopping onions

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!